Sunday, June 1, 2008

girlfriends are good


Along with about every other woman between the ages of 25-50 in Boston, I saw the Sex and the City movie last night. The movie opens with the familiar theme song and everyone immediately started clapping. At that moment, I felt so connected to all of those women sitting in the dark around me. I realized that each of us were longing to fill the void that had opened since the show had ended. Sounds silly, but for me, it was not so much the show that I missed, but it was chance to spend 30 minutes every Sunday night with my girlfriends, living vicariously through Carrie and her Manolo Blahniks. At that time in my life, I was living with four of my best friends, all of us single. Men were people that we'd date with from time to time, when we weren't busy hanging out with each other.

Living with my husband has been great, but I do miss having my girlfriends an arm's length away. We still see each other, but not as often, and as we all settle down into serious relationships, the embarrassing dating stories that we used to share with each other over our Sunday night Chinese take-out dinners are few and far between. Last night was a chance for us to relive our past and, for me, to realize how important it is to have such wonderful women in my life.

One of favorite scenes from an episode of Sex and the City explains my feelings perfectly:

Charlotte:
"Don't laugh at me, but maybe we can be each other's soul-mates? And then, we could let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with."

Samantha:
"Well...that sounds like a plan."

Sounds like a plan indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feelin' you on that sister!!

Girlfriends/sisters are the greatest gift. There's something very special about the kind of support and love.

( I think here's a good spot for the picture of the drag queen poking at your boobs at your bachorette party...)