Wednesday, April 2, 2008

big girl, you are beautiful


One of my guilty pleasures is America's Next Top Model. Well, it's not guilty actually; there is no shame in my love for the hot messes that are Tyra and the Jays. However, this season.... er, cycle....seems a bit tired to me. Sure, the location was moved from LA to NYC, but the format is the same- makeovers (which always result in at least 2 or 3 girls getting horrendous weaves that give Britney Spears' head a reason to feel good about itself), creation of "the bitch" character (this season it's Dominique- who cannot be less than 35 years old if you ask me), and of course, the gratuitous shots of life-size images of Tyra adorning the models' loft.

This week "plus size" model Whitney got called out by some designer Pamela Rodale (or something like that...I'd never heard of her). According to Pamela, she would never put a size 10 girl in her runway show, and I think she punished Whitney for being so morbidly obese by putting her in some ghastly leopard print mini dress and making her strut up and down the makeshift catwalk as her size-2 competitors watched with smirks on their faces.

Well, I hope Whitney wins it all and shows the skinny bitches that huge, fat, size-10 women do have a place in the fashion industry after all. Until then, I'll be waiting for a real plus-size girl to show up on ANTM, while trying to squeeze into my size-10 jeans.

No comments: